Our Group Volunteer Program offers a unique platform to provide team-building experiences for corporate groups, sports teams or community groups and develops solidarity within church groups or other service organizations. Here are some simple steps:
- 1. Define the scope of your volunteer mission and assign a leader.
- 2. Identify how many people and how many days your group wants to volunteer together.
- 3. Define a fundraising project and set a goal.
- 4. Fill-out the Volunteer Registration Form online, now.
- 5. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Dawn Folmar, via email, or telephone: 704-847-4266, x-228 and she will direct your team on opportunities available.
- 6. All Volunteers (group or individual) must complete and sign the Waiver Form, prior to your day of Volunteerism.
If you are interested in volunteering on your own (not part of a group) or are in need of service hours for school, youth group, or other, there are opportunities available.
If you require volunteer hours by a governmental agency, please, contact the ReStore Manager, 704-845-2760.
Current Volunteer Opportunities: (Please, note, if hyperlinks, below, do not transport you to a page, which provides dates for signup, then there may not be opportunties available, in that focus area. Please, visit the Volunteer Page often to learn if new opportunities have been posted)
- 1. If you are an individual wanting to volunteer, please, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Dawn Folmar, via email, or telephone: 704-847-4266, x-228.
- 2. All Volunteers (group or individual) must complete and sign the Waiver Form, prior to your day of Volunteerism,
- I’ve never held a hammer in my life, can I still work on site? We welcome volunteers of ALL skill levels and will provide the training that you need. Please be aware that construction is a physically demanding activity, and there are dangers associated with it.
- How old do I have to be to work on site? You must be atleast 16 years old to work on the construction site; additionally, you must be atleast 18 to work on roofs and/or scaffolding and use power tools. All minors under the age of 18 must arrive with a waiver signed by their parent or guardian.
- When should I arrive at the site? Arrive at 8:00 am; unless otherwise specified at registration. For safety reasons, we cannot allow anyone to come late; if you miss the safety talk, you may not be able to work on the site that day.
- It’s raining! What do I do? To check on the status of the build day, please call Construction Manager, Troy Pruitt at 843-718-6727. The Habitat Matthews Office is not open on Saturdays.
- What should I wear? Wear sturdy, closed toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty or ruined. Also be aware that much of the work is outdoors, so dress appropriately for the weather.
- What should I bring to the construction site? Please bring a lunch or have a lunch plan. Habitat Matthews will provide the tools you will be using. Also, be sure to bring personal comfort items – sunscreen, a hat and layered clothing for weather changes.
- When is lunch? Lunch is from 12:00 – 1:00.
- What can I expect to do when I work on the site? Upon arrival, volunteers must sign-in and complete the Volunteer Release and Waiver Form, if not already submitted. Habitat Matthews is required to have a record of your participation for legal, insurance and statistical purposes. After signing in, volunteers will receive safety instruction and work assignments from the site supervisor.
- How many people can work on site? The optimal number of site volunteers depends on the site and work plan for the day. The safety and adequate supevision of our volunteers is extremely important to us, and our Construction Manager determines the number of volunteers we should have on site.
- Is there a fee for individuals to volunteer on a construction site? We do not require a fee from individual volunteers. However, we encourage all volunteers to help with Habitat Matthews fundraising efforts by donating online at www.habitatmatthews.org or donating materials to our ReStore.
- What else should I know? Smoking and alcohol are not allowed on the site. As you work with us, please remember to remain mindful of your environment and utitlize sound judgment at all times. If you have any concerns or questions, please communicate with the staff or AmeriCorps member working on site. If you are scheduled to volunteer at the ReStore, please, telephone 704-845-2760 if you are unable to fulfill your scheduled time.